Re: Internet filtering

Postby AbuElyas » Feb 25, 2016

AbuElyas
Valued Contributor
Origin: USA
Flag: Malaysia

Postby AbuElyas » Mar 10, 2016

Since I have a habit of building my own solutions, or trying the most well known ones, I didn't think to look for Islamic specific internet filtering. There are a few initiatives that I found, which are trying to provide this. I have tried either, so I can't comment on them.

1) https://www.islamic-router.com/. Possibly provides filtering, athan, and possibly some audio content as well. The website is quite confusing. For filtering it says it is a firewall that stops online abuse and can provide child counseling. It says : "Using the latest Cloud technology this firewall will keep on blocking all search results and also notify you if we feel that an immediate issue needs to be addressed." Sounds like the product details could be worded much better.
2) http://www.halalgate.com/. Not much information provided, but they want people to sign up for a free trial.

Neither provides any up front pricing information

AbuElyas
Valued Contributor
Origin: USA
Flag: Malaysia

Postby AbuElyas » May 30, 2016

After using opendns for a while, I found a few issues that can come up. First of all, you have a whitelist and blacklist that you can create if you want to specifically managed a few sites that opendns either hasn't categorised yet, or you want to exempt a site from a specific category that you have blocked. The problem is that there is a limit on the number of sites you can put in. I believe it is 25 urls. There may be less limits with other options, but I'm just on the free version of opendns.

Next issue is the community. People can submit new sites and everyone can vote on the site and the suggested category. Getting votes is very slow, and the opendns team finally categorizing it is even worse. For example, the stickempires.com domain above was submitted in 2014 and is still awaiting votes. Also, when you look at the list of sites pending votes, people are often miscategorizing sites, or trying to add a tag for a large high traffic site that might have a very slight amount of whatever content they are tagging. The other problem is time required for voting and eventual approval. I've been using it to try to block games, and it seems these can take a while to get categorised. Some of the games have new url's popping up all over the place, so try to block these by DNS is time consuming and slow.

The one plus for opendns is the statistics and reporting. You can get a full list of url's that have been accessed, how many times, and if they have been blocked. URL's don't necessarily mean a website though, as one website might access content on many different url's outside of its own domain. So if you're not used to filtering web traffic and seeing a lot of these content delivery and ad type url's, it may seem like a lot to look through.

Return to “Tech”