Salam Browser

AbuElyas
Valued Contributor
Origin: USA
Flag: Malaysia

Salam Browser

Postby AbuElyas » Jun 01, 2016

I just found an ad for this in my Facebook feed. This is a modified chromium (google open source chrome) browser variant created by a Malaysian company to help provide a more pure browsing experience. At the download page it looks like they only have a windows installer.

Features listed:
-Anti spam/adware
-online security
-video download
-vpn service for geolocation anonymity
-website filtering and community reporting

Salam Browser

Let's help them with their beta efforts and support this muslim initiative.

AbuElyas
Valued Contributor

Re: Salam Browser

Postby AbuElyas » Jul 16, 2016

I have tried the browser a few times and have found a few problems with it that cause me to not want to use it.

First of all, they are doing their own DNS lookups somehow in the browser, and bypassing what your operating system is configured with. If you read my previous post about Internet Filtering, you will see my discussion of using DNS for blocking as opposed to browser based blocking. In this case Salaam browser forces the use of browser only, instead of both DNS and browser (or other additional methods). My kids quickly identified how "open" this browser was and went crazy on the game sites, which would have been blocked by OpenDNS.

Secondly, their web based filtering has several problems. One of which is that it blocks content after the website starts to render. So you can see inappropriate content before the Salaam warning comes up to cover it. In the configuration options, this warning page can be changed to a warning Icon in the address bar. The second problem is similiar to blocksi, the filtering and other features related to security and filtering with Salaam browser are via Chrome Extensions, which there is no control over a user disabling. Some of them don't have a removal option, but a few of them do. The filtering portion "Salam Protect" can't be removed, but can be disabled, and is not enabled by default in incognito mode. Additionally, you don't have any configuration control over blocking specific types of content categories. Its either a Salam blocked site or it isn't.

Another issue in regards to their VPN feature, which is supposed to provide some geo-location anonymity. This feature is opt-in, and must be turned on per tab. So if you click a link that opens in a new tab, you just lost your VPN setting.

I hope the future versions provide more feature sets and get rid of the full dns hijack. For now I had to remove my kid's access to this application.

abdussamadbello
Origin: nigeria
Flag: Nigeria

Postby abdussamadbello » Jul 26, 2016

Masha Allah.. it was a great try I guess
.. I've used "open DNS " works really okay... I wish there was " muslim DNS " to lool!

AbuElyas
Valued Contributor

Postby AbuElyas » Jul 26, 2016

I may be a bit overcritical of salam browser. I think overall it has potential and they will improve over time. It is still in beta and they are doing a lot of promotion (online ads) for it. So it may be a very successful project in the future. Since they have extensions which can't be deleted, maybe future versions of those will have some configurability for other categories of sites to block. One problem though is that any computer you have Salam browser on will probably have other browsers, so anyone that wants to get around it will find a way. But, that's the way with just about everything. Salam and many other solutions are more of a solution for people who want to self-police themselves. Trying to use it to control others (kids, etc) needs to be done with combinations of computers being in a public space in the house as well as parental monitoring.

Opendns seemed like a decent solution, but the approval of new categories is very slow. There are a few game sites that were submitted years ago, have several votes and are still "pending approval". As fast as new domain names (and variant domain names come out), opendns doesn't look like a tool that can keep up. There is a custom list you can define, but they limit it to around 30 domain names you can add, so this fills up very fast.

Return to “Tech”